Friday, 19.02.2010: guess what..

19 Feb

Yes! No luck again! Well.. Stupid Georges thought there was no Stan’s liquid more enough so I had to find way to bring it in. It was not possible by inflating and having liquid so I had the genial idea I could slightly open the (tubeless) ventile – of course without letting it falling into the tire. Well, no I was not able to prevent it from falling…followed by loud shout (I will try to stay polite so I don’t write it here).
So, the ventile was “in” the wheel, I had to remove (partially) the tire and therefore break the vacuum. People using tubeless knows, that once the seeling is broken, you need a compressor to get the system back. A compressor…so between stones and rocks? I had to take my “emergency” tube…bye bye tubeless, from now on more air pressure to avoid snake bit (no real snake, just a special term for a given puncture). By removing partially the tire, I saw why air was coming out: the in wall was broken, may be a rough stone. Anyway, as the tire was not done yet, I wanted to reuse it.
I wanted to prepare the warm shoes and mount back the pedal fixations…guess what, one part must remain in Gérards car… I will have switch the parts when switch shoes.
So everything was set up, I could start. My legs were still feeling like lead. May be because I new what was in front of me: “la cuesta del diablo”. I knew from the map and from the backtrip with Gérard from El Tatio. What I had before was steep, yes (remember: 12-15%). Now I saw the maximum at 18% on a road made of earth mixed with sand. For every step (yes pushing!) forward, I felt 5cm back. But I made it! Cool feeling…And I don’t think that the offered Coca leaves help much. First they taste like gras and black tea.. Second, 30min later I had headache. Nothing for me. I had set my goal to sleep at the water we let with Gérard or better few km more were there is small river. It had to be a place where I could have a day off to allow cleaning myself and give my body some rest.
But before all that the road passed the old sulfur mine. Few houses falling apart. What I had forgotten was the following downhill of 200m, which I had then to pedal up again. Time was passing, the evening wind came quite fresh. At the “water” point, I decide to go ahead, even it was getting fresher and fresher. After 500m, the road went down, temperature as well. So after 2km my legs, feed and hands were frozen. I stopped to have throusers and gloves.
Finally, I make it to the “river”, built up the tent and slept into the warm sleeping bag from which I cooked some rice. Now I can listeining to the water flowing, the birds “singing” (more like a duck) and enjoy my good night, knowing that tomorrow will be an early wake up due to the tourist driving to the geysir of El Tatio.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.